Dragons

I admit I’m a sci-fi junkie. My favorite TV show is Fringe. I have a thing for mermaids. And, I do like a healthy dose of wizardry and magic once in a while. So, when some friends told me that a movie entitled “There be Dragons” was coming out, I got all excited. It didn't really matter to me that this film was supposed to be inspired by true events. Hey, as long as there were going to be dragons, I was in.

Last weekend, I saw the story of Dragons – These dragons are far worse than the dragons in science fiction. When these dragons breathed fire they tear families and souls apart. They are the inner dragons that lie within each of us. Mine lay dormant until I became a parent. I don’t know what it is about raising a child. It’s like a whole new person emerges.  Parenting literally brings out the very best and, unfortunately, the very worst in me. There are days when I just have to count to a hundred to calm my nerves. But, seriously, I find solace in what the author, James Stenson mentions in his book “Upbringing”.

All God asks of parents, when they come before his judgment, is that they be able to say, “We tried our very best…” (Stenson, 1991, p. 24)

I am so attracted to science fiction – to the hero/heroine who battles and conquers. This war that I am waging is not mine alone. Thousands upon thousands of fathers and mothers are battling their inner dragons so that they can raise their children right. The real enemy in this fight is… neglect.

 How much quality time do you spend with your child/ren? Could you increase this valuable time?
What are your inner dragons? How are you dealing with them?

Consider watching "There be Dragons"  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author's Sources of Inspiration

Lifeline: The religious upbringing of your children by James Stenson
Upbringing: A discussion handbook for parents of young children by James Stenson
Faith Explained by Leo Trese
Shared insights and experiences in a monthly get-together with mothers like me