Called to be Mom

Yes, I guess you could say I was called to be a mom even before I was born. Though, at first I thought God had other plans for me. I was engaged but didn’t foresee a child in my future. So, my husband was very much surprised when he found out that we were going to have a baby boy. I, on the other hand, was simply in awe that God was asking me to be a mom. When I gave birth, it wasn't the most ideal of circumstances. I gave birth away from family. But it didn’t matter to me, a myriad of angels were singing when my son was born. I couldn’t for a moment take my eyes off of my little one. The joy I felt then, I still feel every time I look at him.

It’s true what they say that motherhood is a calling – a vocation. There is no way I could survive the everyday challenges of being a mom if it weren’t for the grace that God gives to every vocation. Once, I had the misfortune of losing my son in a crowd. And, to think, we were among relatives. I can’t begin to tell you how fervent a mother’s prayer can be for a lost child.  My heart overflowed when we finally found him. I’ve realized that motherhood is like that – joy and sorrow, co-existing. I saw and heard my son being admired one minute, then ridiculed the next. Whenever someone praised him, I would smile and think to myself, “If only you knew!” And, when he was mocked and crucified… I wanted to cradle him in my arms like I did many times before. My son always had a generous heart. He gave all he could give to this world. He even gave me. "Behold, your Mother!" (Jn 19:27)

For the month of May, what Marian devotion could you teach/do with your little ones?
Have you considered that being a parent is a calling – a true vocation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author's Sources of Inspiration

Lifeline: The religious upbringing of your children by James Stenson
Upbringing: A discussion handbook for parents of young children by James Stenson
Faith Explained by Leo Trese
Shared insights and experiences in a monthly get-together with mothers like me