Parental Tantrums

It was pouring heavily when I turned off the car engine at my son’s preschool parking lot. I was barely thinking as I somehow managed to get the bulky stroller out of the trunk, got the two squirmy kids in the stroller, and grabbed an umbrella. That umbrella didn’t do much for me that morning. I was soaked. As I was rushing to get to the preschool entrance as so many other moms and dads were doing, I saw a curious sight. A mom stopped under a tree with her two daughters and they were catching dew drops with their tongues. The girls were giggling as their mom wore a huge smile. “It’s time to go in,” she gently reminded her girls. Then, they rushed towards the door like us normal beings. That same day, as I went to pick up my son, another kind of sight awaited me at the preschool. There was a boy with a big scowl on his face seated on the floor at the entrance way. His mom had her hands on her hips. She looked frustrated as she said, “Why does everything have to be a struggle with you?” I managed to maneuver myself and my kids out of the way.

Most days I oscillate between these two extremes… being the fairy mom and having a parental tantrum. On picture perfect days, I feel attuned to my children’s needs. We laugh a lot. We learn a lot. We get creative and imagine fun adventures together. Sometimes, we have a simple meal of grilled cheese and there’s non-stop singing to boot. I’m smiling as I write this. It really is wonderful to be able to enjoy being with your children. During off days, you can usually tell before it happens. You don’t get enough sleep the night before. Stress at work spills over. Diaper changes seem unending. And the worst of it, you snap at every little thing your kids do. Sometimes, you just have one of those outbursts of temper that you never knew you had in you. Poor kids!

If only we could be sunny and cool parents all the time. How great would that be?! But a friend of mine, Nora, suggested a different side of parental tantrums. She said that it’s an opportunity for your children to see that you can say sorry and make amends. It’s an opportunity for them to see you struggle to keep your cool. Sometimes you win in the struggle and sometimes you don’t but the important thing is that they see the struggle. Of course we try to prevent parental tantrums when we can. We exercise to relieve stress. We have our date nights with our spouses. We try to get enough rest. We count to ten or give ourselves a time out when we feel an outburst coming. But, when the ugly head of parental tantrums do come along, isn’t it wonderful that as Christians we can ask our children to forgive us?

Do your child/ren hear you say sorry after you get upset?

If parental tantrums occur too often, have you tried to find the main cause and address it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author's Sources of Inspiration

Lifeline: The religious upbringing of your children by James Stenson
Upbringing: A discussion handbook for parents of young children by James Stenson
Faith Explained by Leo Trese
Shared insights and experiences in a monthly get-together with mothers like me